Pages

Thursday, 17 August 2017

Don't LGBT me

I belong to a species long before I belong to a sexuality. 

I belong to a society, a religion, a gender, a culture, a group of friends and a group of people with the same passion - all before I belong to a sexuality.

And we could all use this message: 




Yes, I'm one of those who finds that a Pride Parade sends all the wrong signals: 

- That society is so homophobic, whereas it isn't. 
- That those last few people who are, aren't allowed to have their feel or view. 
- That our frustrations are so much more important than those of anyone else. 
- and that 'our' history, is so much more painful than that of anyone else.  

If gay teenagers consistently keep having one of the highest depression and suicide rates of all social groups, and a few decades of Pride Parades did not do anything to change that - they are also useless. For it points at: not giving these teenagers pride. On the contrary: pinning them down in the role of victim in the Drama Triangle. 

It feels like getting out of a closet only to climb into one with more people.
The overruling of the bedroom over any other room in our lives. 

I would want to join the best choir, the best sports team, rather than the one based on the sexual orientation of its members. 
Personally I can't really get rid of the idea there's selfishness involved: 'let's fight for a cause... but only ours. Ours is the cause we need to advance'. That's no cause, that's being self-centered. 

Especially in a civilization that is already in chaos, for no longer having a shared set of morals and splintering into dozens of sub-tribes, I don't see this as much help. Society should be the cause. 

I embrace society and society embraces me. If someone does not, then so be it. I'm not the end product of millions of years of evolution to not be able to cope with a stupid tweet. I even find it insulting if someone finds that I need to be defended.

The video above is a message that me I found to be helpful - and for everyone with a scar, and that is: everyone.


Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment